- What is your educational background? Major?
- How important is graduate school for your field?
- What special preparations do you have that you think are important for your job?
- Could you recommend some courses that I should be taking right now?
- What kind of experience is necessary to enter the field?
- If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
- What type of hours do you work?
- How demanding is your job? To what degree is there pressure on the job?
- Do you travel for your job? Are there travel opportunities?
- How much flexibility do you have in terms of dress, vacation time, hours worked?
About the job:
- How did you get started in the field?
- What type of work do you do during a typical week?
- What do you like most about your present position? What do you like least?
- What major satisfactions do you get from working in this field?
- What are some of the issues/problems you must deal with in your line of work?
- What skill or talents are most essential for your job?
- What is the employment outlook? What is the future of the field?
- What opportunities are there for advancement? Is turnover high in your profession?
- What types of employers hire people in your line of work?
- Where do you see yourself headed? What are your career goals?
Job hunting advice:
- In hiring someone in this field, what do you look for?
- What entry-level jobs are best for learning as much as possible?
- How would you suggest I conduct a job/internship search in this field?
Now remember…these are just suggested sample questions. Not all will apply and you do not need to ask all of them?!
Make sure you know what you are hoping to get out of this connection to help drive the conversation.
We’ll be back after the break for some advice if you are still feeling shy