The Center for Career Advancement is working with employers on virtual recruiting sessions as well as welcoming those who want to come to campus for in-person sessions. If you register to connect with an employer virtually we have tips and recommendations as you prepare for these interactions.
- Know your skills & experiences as they relate to an organization and/or position
- Prepare 3-4 points about your interest, skills and experience as they relate to the opportunity/company to share during the interaction, as well as questions for the employer
- Be aware of your body language and eye contact, and dress professionally
- Business etiquette is also important. While you cannot shake hands, remember to be polite, attentive and thank employers for the opportunity to meet and learn about their organization
- Test your technology, ideally 1-2 days before interview/interaction, download/update any software
- Charge your device and have your charger available in case your battery level gets low
- Background should be clutter and distraction free
- Lighting – avoid lights behind as this will cast a shadow on your face
- Raise your device to eye level to ensure you are making eye contact
- Limit distractions: humans, pets, notes/papers and phone/computer notifications. If you need a quiet space on campus, follow the instructions here to reserve a private room
Once you complete your virtual interactions – it is important to also follow up. Take these three steps soon after your interaction to show your continued interest and remain connected.
- Evaluate your interaction: Answer the following questions as you prepare for the next step:
- In what areas did you do well? Where can you improve?
- What did you like? Dislike?
- What else do you need to know to take next steps? Do you need more practice? (If so, check out Big Interview on myBucknell and/or schedule a Mock Interview on Handshake)
- :Write a Thank You email, briefly address
- Areas of strength
- Any weak points that you weren’t able to address in the interaction
- Express your continued interest in the company or position
- Proofread before you send your message. Bcc: yourself for future reference
- Send a separate note to each person you interacted with
- Networking and show interest online:
- Connect on LinkedIn, and include a personalized message in your request referring to your recent interaction
- Follow the employer on Handshake, LinkedIn and other social media channels if you haven’t already
Check out Handshake for upcoming employer programs and events.