These days everyone wants to be green and make green but we all know that ain’t always easy…
Luckily the green industry is highly diverse and is growing daily. “Green Careers” can encompass various industries such as: conservation, education, communication, environmental consulting, environmental management and planning, and parks and recreation, to name a few. Employers include academia, government, corporations, public and private research firms, nonprofits and grassroots organizations.
General Advice and Tips
- Determine what part of the industry interests you most – since the opportunities are so diverse, the more you can refine your career interests in the environmental field, the easier your search will be.
- Explore all resources – online, print, and professional organizations.
- The Bucknell Public Interest Program (BPIP) Internship Fund provides a $3000 stipend for students who secure an unpaid internship with a nonprofit or government organization in the summer. The deadline is always in March.
- If an internship doesn’t pay, it can be done for credit.
Know the Industry!
- Riley Guide: Career and Occupational Guides – An excellent, current collection of career links which lists several free career and occupational guides
- Environmental Careers Organization – Many resources for those exploring environmental careers, conference information, publications, and paid internships.
- Envirolink – a community that unites hundreds of organizations and volunteers around the world with millions of people in more than 150 countries, dedicated to providing comprehensive, up-to-date environmental information and news
- Grist – news and commentary site that features environmental news, interviews with people in green jobs and business and a blog
- Green Wombat – daily blog that covers the intersection of the environment, technology, business and policy
Find the jobs and make the green
- Environmental Sciences Jobs in the Federal Government – Employment opportunities in natural resource management and environmental protection
- Corporate Socially Responsible Companies – a resource guide listing more than 2,700 organizations working on all aspects of corporate social responsibility in more than 105 countries
- EnvironmentalCAREER – Nationwide environmental and natural resources job listings
- Green Dream Jobs – Lists career and internship openings, links and resources
- Student Conservation Association – 3-12 month internships (expenses paid & stipends) in national parks, forests, wildlife refuges, urban greenways, and wild lands managed by government and nonprofit organizations
- 100 Jobs in the Environment
- The Complete Guide to Environmental Careers in the 21st Century
- The Environmental Career Guide
- The Directory of National Environmental Organizations
- Education for the Earth: A Guide to Top
- Green at Work: Find a Business Career that Works for the Environment
- Environmental Jobs for Scientists and Engineers
And with that I encourage you to walk somewhere today that you normally drive to and have a very Happy Earth Day!