This is a job opportunity for any recent grads who are looking for employment/service opportunities in the local area. We know the job market is tough and this might be a good match for someone who is deciding what to do, wants work experience before grad school, or wants to stay in the Lewisburg area for a year or two.
The Bucknell Office of Civic Engagement and the Department of Education are seeking a recent college grad or other qualified candidate to help us coordinate an after-school tutoring program with local schools and work on community service projects. This full-time position is through AmeriCorps, a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds with education awards and other benefits in exchange for a year or two of community service.
What You Give
- 1,700 hours of service to local youth and families in need during the program year, mid-August 2012 to mid-August 2013
- Your energy, dedication, creativity, commitment, and time to helping recruit, train, and manage college students to tutor kids who need extra academic help, responsible role models, and mentors.
- Your service to civic engagement initiatives like the new community garden project, our hot meal program in Milton, MLK volunteer activities, the 1st year day of service, and other special events.
What You Receive
- A living stipend of $12,100
- An education award of $5,550 after successfully completing the term of service; awards may be used for paying student loans or tuition.
- Invaluable, hands-on experience, and the opportunity to work with a variety of professionals.
- Personal and professional training in a positive educational environment.
- The satisfaction of knowing that you’ve given of yourself to improve your community.
Qualified individuals should have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in education or related field, a valid driver’s license, good organizational skills, a commitment to service, and a desire to work as part of a cooperative team. For more information, please visit http://www.coresusquehanna.org/ or call the Office of Civic Engagement at 570-577-3973.