Congratulations on officially becoming a member of the alumni community on First Night! Alumni Relations & the Career Development Center are happy to share that you are now have access to the networks & clubs in B-Link, the online alumni community. This is a great privilege that comes along with responsibilities. Below you will see some tips of why and how to interact with alumni. Please read this and follow up with our staff at the Career Development Center or when we come visit your floors after Spring Break (more information below).
Tips for Reaching Out to Alumni Effectively:
- Let them get to know you before asking for something–Many professionals are going to be busy, as well as thinking about their own reputations in their workplace. While they can help you with contacts, advice, and even opportunities, they are putting themselves at risk to do so for someone they don’t know, so let them get to know you before asking for something.
- Consider asking for an informational interview. It is a low-risk and enjoyable way to get to know someone as well as to learn more about an industry and/or employer. Know how to communicate effectively in an email, voicemail, or in person . See this as a professional relationship (versus a social one) and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Do your homework before approaching alumni. They will expect you know something about their industry and employer. Utlize the many career research resources available to you.
- Use strategy as you identify who you will contact and clearly communicate your goals. The VP or CEO of an organization may not be the best choice for your objectives. If you are trying to reach a senior executive, think about how you will interact with the “gatekeepers.”
- Target your interactions – No Bulk E-mails – they can be spotted from miles away.
How to use B-Link
First time log-in:
1. Go to B-Link: www.b-link.bucknell.edu
2. Click “first time login” (upper left corner)
3. Type your last name and click find
4. Find your name and click on button next to your name, click next.
5. Enter your Bucknell ID (8 digits) click verify
6. Your profile appears, edit as necessary
7. Create your username and password (middle of the page)
8. Terms and conditions, click yes…we trust you’ll read them later 😉
9. Go to the bottom of the screen and save
Some fun features include:
* Classes, Clubs,Networks – similar to Facebook groups…don’t see one you like? Create your own! Find alumni who are in your hometown, had your major, is in a profession you are considering, etc.
* Career Center – featuring a search of Alumni who are willing to be contacted as mentors!
* Bucknellians in Action – see what Bucknellians are making headlines, who knows maybe you’ll find your next job or idea!
* “News for Alumni”- video clips, Bucknell Magazine online, and more.
* Class Notes—search and post and see what your classmates and other Bucknellians are up to!
* If you want to have access to the FULL ALUMNI DIRECTORY, you can. You just need to complete the three steps outlined here.
Talk to one of us about it! Come to our walk-in hours with career counseling staff Monday – Friday 1:30 – 3:30 or make an individual appointment by calling 577-1238 or emailing email@example.com. Also, our staff will be visiting your floor sometime after Spring Break to talk with you more about how you can successfully reach out to alumni and plan for your externship.